Does anybody know why these are called Scotcheroos? I am guessing the 'scotch' comes from butterscotch chips. The 'roos'? I'm stumped. My mom has been making these since my childhood and not once did the question ever come up. I think they just tasted so good, we didn't care what they were called, we just wanted to eat them.
That is kinda how my kids are with them. They never asked or even made a funny face when I told them what they were called. They just asked for one and then, a second. Even a third.
These peanut buttery cousin to the rice crispy treat are chewy, chocolaty goodness. They aren't too much to make and would be a great addition to a holiday party.
Put them on your list to make. You will be glad you did!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 5 cups crispy rice cereal
- 6 oz chocolate chips
- 6 oz butterscotch chips
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, mix sugar with corn syrup until sugar is melted. Remove from heat and mix in peanut butter.
- Then, add crispy rice cereal to the peanut butter mixture 1 cup at a time. Making sure it is mixed completely.
- Spread mixture onto a greased cookie sheet or 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips over medium heat and spread mixture over bars. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 20 mins.