While digging through some old recipes this weekend, I came across this gem from my Great-Aunt Annie. Now, how did my great aunt's recipes find their way to my possession? I honestly, don't remember. My grandmother has been gone for 20 years. I think...think..she gave them to me before she died. But, I could be wrong.
Anyhow, Mr Plain and the kids are very glad that I had this recipe. I made these yesterday and they were virtually gone by the end of the day. Gone. They are creamy, fruity and taste awesome warmed up with a nice glass of milk. At least, that's how I inhaled a good portion of them.
Creamy Apple SquaresPublished 01/17/12
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup ( 1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Combine cake mix and butter in a mixing bowl. Mix until crumbly.
- Reserve 2/3 cup of cake/butter mixture in a separate bowl. Add brown sugar and cinnamon to 2/3 cup mixture. Mix well. Set aside.
- Take remaining cake mixture and spread evenly on the bottom of baking dish. Then,layer sliced apples on top of that cake mixture base.
- In a separate bowl, blend sour cream and egg until well mixed. Spread cream mixture evenly over sliced apples.
- Top off with cinnamon/brown sugar cake mixture. Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Best served warm. Keep leftovers in fridge.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 20 mins.
Total time: 50 mins.