Every kid eat Goldfish crackers, right? Mine do. In fact, a small, average, size bag can be inhaled in once lunch at our house. But, it's not just the fish. They love Cheez-Its, store bought brands, and well, any cracker with cheese flavor. Now, my husband? Um, no. He is very particular about his cheese crackers and cheese, in general. He will not eat boxed cheese snack products, they are not 'real cheese' according to him. He's a bit of cheese snob. So, these make him a happy, cheese cracker lovin' guy. He can finally enjoy cheese crackers with real cheese.
These have a great cheese taste and are almost embarrassingly simple to make. You only need flour, cheese and water. That's it. I know, crazy.
The shape of the crackers is totally up to you. Here is a great link to show you how to make cookie cutter out of a soda can, or, use any cookie cutter you have on hand or you can be a bit lazier (like myself) and simply slice the dough with a pizza cut and make a variety of shapes. Whatever works for you best.
We still gobble these up within a few hours, no matter what shape they are :)
Baked Cheddar Crackers
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- water, anywhere from 2 TBSP-4 TBSP
- salt, to taste preference, if desired
- In your food processor, pulse cheese, flour and salt until it is coarse. Add water at 1 tablespoon at a time until dough forms. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes to chill.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a rimmed baking sheet well.
- Once dough is chilled, roll out and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until desired crispiness.
Yield: Serves: 8Prep Time: 00 hrs. 40 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 20 mins.
Total time: 60 mins.