Happy Pi Day Friends.
Of course, officially, Pi Day is the celebration of mathematics all over. It's comes from the the first 3 numbers of Pi, which are 314. Turn that into date format you have 3/14. March 14th. Nifty, huh?
We do, of course, celebrate Pi Day here at our house. Being married to a math teacher, it's kinda a thing.
He's not only a math teacher, he loves pie. Both forms. Pi and pie. I do think that pie you consume is more his favorite though. Cant' really blame him. Pie is just all around amazing.
This particular pie is the state pie of Indiana. Did you know that state's had official pie? Color me clueless. I had no idea. I live in Illinois and it seems that it's pumpkin pie for us (thank you Google). Not very exciting, but, pretty good pie.
I came across this one while watching an entire PBS documentary on pie shops all over the United States. It was pretty fascinating and made me crave pie for days. Off to the kitchen I went and baked up one delicious pie. Thank you PBS.
This Sugar Cream Pie only needs a few simple ingredients and will work fine with a homemade crust or just regular store bought one (which is what I used). Either way, you will fall in love with it. Super creamy and a nice, crunchy, cinnamon-sugar top.
Dig in and enjoy Pi Day!
Sugar Cream Pie
- 9 in pie crust (homemade or store bought). If you are using a frozen crust, let it defrost before using)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 TBSP butter, melted
- FOR TOPPING:
- 3 TBSP sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread bottom of pie crust with melted butter.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together cream, flour, sugars, milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour into pie crust.
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon for topping. Sprinkle on top of pie.
- Bake for 1 hour or until middle is firm to touch.
- Let pie cool on wire completely before serving.
Yield: 1Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Cook time: 01 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 1 hrs. 15 mins.